Sunday, March 22, 2009

Chromium on Linux

So I decided today to make a shot at compiling google chrome on Linux... aaand after a number of compile errors, it works! Here's a screenshot of what you see when you start it up:



Some things I noted about it:
  • It took a long time to connect to many web sites.
  • It crashed a lot
  • There was no tab interface... opening a new tab worked, but you couldn't close it or get back to any old tabs.
  • It caused google to block me
  • No dialog boxes worked... couldn't open the options pane, no about pane, etc...

In short, the browser is not usable yet.

P.S. As you can see in my screenshot, there is a big disclaimer that this browser is NOT READY YET, so DON'T judge the quality of the linux port of chromium using any information you can get about it today!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have a functional build of chromium for osx that works quite a bit better than what you described. There were some fun oddities, such as google.com showing up in turkish... and forms are borked... but the tabs worked flawlessly.

I've heared that google chrome works quite well in wine... Have fun!